Monday, April 15, 2013

DIY Entry Table Under $30

http://www.bournesouthernhome.com/2013/04/diy-entry-table-under-30.html

If you follow me anywhere but here on my blog then you've seen the recent pictures I've posted of this DIY entry table I've been working on.  I am so stoked to finally have it complete, especially since it is the first piece of furniture I've built with my own two hands!

I used this easy-to-follow tutorial from Ana White and was so impressed by the way she lays out the instructions, making it so simple even I could do it.  I added a few personal touches to my table, but the tutorial she created was what I used for the majority of the project.



**I had many of the finishing materials like paint, stain, wood glue etc. already on hand.  If you
don't have any of the products needed to complete this table it might run you a little over $30, but most DIY lovers usually have the basics.  Also, the tutorial listed on Ana-White's site instructs to use 2" nails and a nail gun.  I prefer using a regular hammer and nails which worked just fine for making this table.  It was a little more time consuming, but if you don't have a nail gun or are just scared of using one (like me), you can still make this table!**


Once I finished the basic construction of the table, I thought it would add a little something extra if I could use three 1x4x41s to the center of the tabletop, rather than one big 1x12x41.  The 1x4s ended up not fitting right so I went ahead and followed the instructions for adding a solid piece.
 I also cut three 1x3x8s and nailed them to the front to create faux drawers.


I stained the top of my table using Minwax Special Walnut.

Rather than stain the whole base of the table, knowing I was going to paint over it, I just added stain to the edges I would be distressing.

I used a mixture of Behr Ozone and a basic white to get a very washed out blue.  After painting two coats over the entire base, I lightly distressed the edges and added some drawer pulls from Hobby Lobby to my faux drawers.






I'm so pleased with how this table turned out, it fits perfect in our entryway!  I can't wait to try out more of Ana's furniture tutorials.  If I can make this table, so can you!

Featured at:
House of Rose
Someday Crafts

Linking up to:
Liz Marie Blog
Keeping It Simple Crafts 
Lamb Around
Suburbs Mama
twelveOeight 
Miss Mustard Seed 
Ladybug Blessings

24 comments:

  1. What a fabulous table! I've been on the hunt for the perfect entryway table since we moved in, but I've come up empty handed. I might just have to try this to make my own. We'll be featuring this over at Someday Crafts tomorrow, so come take a look if you have a minute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited you featured my table! Thank you! This is a perfect budget friendly entryway table and you can finish it off in so many different ways! Good luck, I hope you try it!

      Delete
  2. Found you via Someday Crafts. What an awesome job you did on this entry way table. I have been wanting to build stuff myself and recently purchased Ana White's book so I could get started! I love how you added the faux drawers, looks really cute. Would it be okay if I Pin this to my Build It board? Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sandy, glad you found me! I love Ana's projects! Of course you can pin it! Take care :D

      Delete
  3. What an awesome side table! and for only $30!! Amazing! If you get a chance, please share it on my linky party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/04/sunday-linky-party-3.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rita, I linked up!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for linking up. I will be featuring this on my next party (sunday) Hope to see more from you soon.

      Delete
  4. Megan your entry table is AMAZING!! I adore your style and would love for you to join the Pretty Things Link Party at twelveOeight!

    xo, Tanya
    http://twelveoeight.blogspot.com/2013/04/pretty-things-16-link-party-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fabulous! I love it... great job:)
    Krista @thehappyhousie

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this!! i know what you mean about not being able to find just the right table.. without spending a high price. i started making one out of pallets.. i need to finish. thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is AMAZING!! I love this and you did a great job making it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that's amazing! I'd love to have the woodworking skills to make a table from scratch. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have faith you could do it! It is alot easier than it would appear to be!

      Delete
  9. I just made this table. My first wood working project since high school. It came out beautiful. I am so excited. Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could you please give me the measurements of this table? Not sure if itll fit in my space! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! This is beautiful and exactly what I'm looking for. I've never done anything like this before and would love to start! Did you cut the wood yourself? I have very few tools at home and am worried that I don't have the tools needed to start a project like this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Also love the table, and would you mind telling me what color paint you used on the walls?
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel like it's my job to educate people that a 1×4 will never be 4 inches. Ever. The end. It's how lumber is graded. Google it please.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this! Did you finish the top of the table with anything like poly or wax?

    ReplyDelete